Friday, May 17, 2013

Of hairy beasts and sand blasts ...

I was out to the barn again this past Wednesday ... was my day off and it was BEAUTIFUL outside, so I opted to ride Gus out on the cross-country course. But before we got to that point, he needed a good brushing. And holy cow was he shedding like nobody's business. You'd have thought that he hadn't been brushed in years! He was so incredibly hairy ... it's falling off in clumps. CRAZY!

Anyways, our ride outside was the first ride since Gus was diagnosed with being 100% blind in his left eye. He was a trooper and we had a nice time. No spooks or goofy instances ... just a nice, quiet ride outside in the sunshine (and no bugs!).

After the ride, Gus got hosed down for the first time all year. I then treated him to a nice romp in the sand arena. Oh my God, I think he thought he died and went to heaven. He LOVES rolling after a bath and I figured I'd rather have him roll on "clean" sand then on dirty dirt/mud/manure/God.knows.what.else. He was such a goof - but I think he thoroughly enjoyed himself.

Gringo was treated to a mini "spa" day as well, except I just hosed him off ... no grooming. He also got treated to a sandy romp in the arena. Except, this is where him and Gus differ. You see, Gus can flip totally over when he rolls - Gringo is too lazy and just rolls on one side. Then he'll stand up and roll on the other side. Except for this past Wednesday. He just rolled on one side. Silly boy.
I'm hoping to find the time to get Gringo started again ... but not sure if that'll pan out or not. I guess it's the thought that counts though, right?
My plan is to still keep riding Gus as much as I can. Granted my doctor(s) may not like that, but at the present time they are totally unaware of that situation. Riding Gus is as safe, if not safer, then driving a motor vehicle. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :-)