Thursday, January 19, 2012

Happy Belated Birthday, Gus!

On Monday, January 16th Gus celebrated his 22nd birthday. I really wish I would've been able to make it out to see him but I was otherwise occupied.

It's hard to believe that Gus is that old.. Granted some days he seems ancient, but then there are other days where he's as frisky as a young greenie. To borrow a thought from Stacey, from Behind The Bit, I think Gus thinks he's four. Because 2+2= 4, not 22. (Actually her old guy, Harvey, had the idea).

My goals/resolutions for Gus for 2012 are to keep him fit, healthy and happy. I plan to accomplish this by doing the following:
     1. (fit) riding as correctly as possible, at least three times a week
     2. (healthy) staying on top of his hooves and arthritis. If this means getting after J, the farrier, then so be it. If this also means more frequent stifle injections or Legend (IA) injections, then so be it as well
     3. (happy) make sure he gets plenty of grooming time and, weather permitting, grazing time. Granted Gus is IR, but I don't see why he can't have a few 10-15 minute grazing sessions come spring, when the grass starts sprouting. He's basically in a dry lot 24/7 so a little change of scenery should do him good. I'll just need to keep a close eye on things.

The following are some photos taken on January 5th. I think it was nearly 50 degrees outside. I wasn't wearing a jacket (whohoo! - though I did have on a base layer, then a mock turtleneck, breeches and a down vest). Compare that day, earlier this month, to today. It's a balmy -1 currently and windchills were rumored to be bottoming out at around -45. Lovely.

Enjoy!

 Granted, this isn't the best conf shot, but Gus has built up a nice topline.
Even his back muscles are starting to reappear again. Success!



Looking west towards the sunset.  

Not my greatest picture... 

 
The following photos are Gus modeling his new Centuar Camelwatch sheet. Courtesy of Smartpak. (I got a killed deal on it, so Gringo got one as well ... stay tuned to photos of Gringo modeling his new sheet. I just hope it fits him).

 The new turnout sheet is 1200denier and came with an attached midlength neck.





No comments: