Saturday, February 4, 2012

Of hooves and horses

Long overdue for an update on Gus's hooves, so here goes.

The following photos were taken on January 27th, five weeks post trim. I am NOT happy with how the hooves are looking. In my uneducated opinion, they are long in the toe and the heels are growing forward, not necessarily downward. 























Yikes. That's about all that I can say about Gus's hooves.

So, the next set of shots were taken from February 2nd - just a few hours after Gus was trimmed last.





A close up of the weird crack/separation on Gus's white line. Per J, currently there are no issues with Gus's white line.











So, I was able to FINALLY talk to J, the farrier. He agreed with me that Gus's hooves are changing ... and not in a good way. Moreso we are dealing with issues in the fronts ... they are looking more and more like a laminitic horse's. 

J recommends applying durasole ... which I had been doing faithfully back over the summer, and looking at applying shoes come spring. I'm glad I was finally able to talk to him, cause I agree that things need to change. I'm really worried about Gus's hooves ... 

So, now on to the horses part. Today we had some lovely hoar frost, that lasted until nearly 3pm. It made for one gorgeous day ... and a great day for outdoor photography. 

Without further ado, here's some good shots of Gus from today. 












No comments: