Tuesday, June 12, 2012

It's JUNE!

Well, Gus [looks around to see if the Lameness Gods are watching] seems to be sound, for the most part. I've been a slacker about updating the blog but in all honesty, I've been slacking on the "working with my horses" part too. Life has just been hectic these past few months so it's all I've been able to do, to get out to the barn(s).

Anyways, Gus is back into work again and we're taking everything in stride. With the addition of aspirin daily, he seems to have a sparkle back in his eye. And in his step. I'm thinking the daily dose of aspirin is keeping is ERU in check and thus keeping him more pain-free. I really wish I would have asked about aspirin therapy years ago...

On Wednesday, the 6th, Gus has his hooves trimmed and reset again. J's been doing a fairly decent job, IMO, of keeping Gus comfortable. Not sure if its the shoes or the injections (since both were done within days of each other) but Gus definitely is moving more consistently since everything was done a couple months back.

Here's the photos of Gus's hooves post trim (in their standard order):

Close-Up of left front sole ... it's incredibly dry and cracking a lot.

I still think we're dealing with long toes, but in all honesty - he's always had long toes and well, they probably caused a lot of our previous issues but he seems to be doing okay with how things are now. So I guess I'll just monitor things for now, least on that front.

Gus still warms up via the lunge line - usually for about 10-15 minutes. I typically have him lunge both directions sans side reins for a couple minutes, each side. Then I add the side reins in and we do another 5-6 minutes/side until he's moving nicely.

Last week we were having a nice lesson but it ended quite abruptly when one of the workers ended up falling off the muck ramp. She's okay but was really bruised up - and well, my lesson was canceled so my BO/Trainer could attend to her. Fine by me but we were having a really, really nice lesson. Oh well. There's always tomorrow.

Gringo still seems to be doing okay. I've been bad about getting out to see him lately. It's probably quite literally been weeks, if not nearly a month since I was out last. Actually, now that I think about it, I probably saw him last when the farrier was out to trim him back in May.

Anyways, I did see Gringo, granted briefly, on Sunday. I'm hoping to spend more time with him this weekend, when I'm out to the in-laws for Father's Day. I guess my BIL is wanting to start (haha) riding Gringo, seeing as my MIL plans on riding Jade in the near future. I told her (MIL, that is) that I'm all for BIL riding Gringo ... but I don't want to be sued if he should fall off and hurt himself.

Other then that, Gringo is out in a new pasture half-days. Him and Jade spend their afternoons in Toaster's old pasture... mowing it down. The pasture is very much overgrown at the moment, so I have a feeling that I'll be dealing with another chubby gelding this fall. Hopefully he doesn't gain too much weight. I really don't want to worry about laminitis...

I'll try to get new photos of the boys soon too. It's been ages since I've taken (good) photos of them. I'm always snapping away at other horses, but never my own.

Here's some shots from the show back at the beginning of the month. I'm pleased with how the photos turned out though. Even made a few pennies from the show as well.

RRF June 2012
Wilhelm and Toby - New photos of Willy (he's a month old now) and Toby (30 year old Morgan)

Check out my other blog, Ashley Blegen Photography, for more photos and information on my photography side business. You can also see more examples of my work at my smugmug gallery.

No comments: