Saturday, December 29, 2012

Happy Holidays!

I finally made it out to see the boys again today ... first time since last Sunday. I do need to post a photo of Gus's hooves from last week. But I'll get to that some other time.

I worked with Gringo first today. He was sound as a dollar. Which was amazing. What wasn't amazing was his attention span. It was completely, 100% lost. Gone. Not.to.be.found.anywhere. Oh well. After w/t/c/whoa on the lunge, we did some ground driving. The ground driving is going REALLY REALLY well. Gringo willingly does 10m-15m circles along with 3-loop serpentines without any issues. Seems like our "problems" are on the lunge again. All Gringo wanted to do today was canter, canter, canter. Definitely need to work on that.

Gus was a good trooper today as well. I opted to not lunge him, for the sake of sparing myself another 15 minutes of going in circles. End the end, it didn't seem to make a huge difference. We started with shoulder stretches at the walk and then proceeded to do 10m spiral circles. Basically, you start at F (or K, M, H) and do a half circle, then on the centerline you change the bend and go the other direction. At the rail you move up the the next letter, rinse and repeat. That exercise really helped Gus work on his bending and suppling ... so I'd call it a success.

Trot work consisted of big 20m figure-8s, followed up with some 3-loop serpentines. Gus was good boy and I was feeling fairly well, so I opted for some canter work. Pretty boring canter work. Just 15m to 20m circles at each major letter, once around the arena. We had a really nice, up and forward right lead that was to die for. Granted, I'm sure B would've had a lot to say about it but I was happy with Gus's willingness to move forward and outward.

Nothing else to really report except that I desperately need to get those photos uploaded. I think I'll try to get some new shots of the boys tomorrow as well, seeing as I need to head back out to the barn again. Anyways, til later ...

Happy Holidays and stay WARM!

No comments: