Tuesday, September 1, 2009

It's September!

I can't believe that summer is nearly over, but I can certainly feel it. Woke up to a brisk 42 degrees out... I think it's supposed to warm up to the mid 70s again today, but still! That's just a tad chilly for the end of August/beginning of September.

The boys have been doing really well lately. Gus's latest lameness issues seem to have resolved themselves again. We shall see today though when I'm out to ride. I've not ridden him in over a week, so it should be an interesting ride to say the least. Gringo seems to be doing well again too. He has good days and bad, but with the way the weather has been lately, it seems the good out number the bad.

Both boys were hit hard with a double dose of Equimax two weeks ago. The point of double dosing this dewormer is to kill neckthread worms (NTW). Lots of info out there about this, but many people don't know about them. Needless to say, the protocol is double ivermectin/praziquantel by weight and followed two weeks later by another double dose of ivermectin/praziquantel or just plain ivermectin. Since both boys are under 1200lbs, I just give them two syringes a piece and call it good, since some is inevitably not swallowed. Anyways, with the first double dose of Equimax, I did notice some evidence of NTW. Both boys had this scurffy stuff on their chests. They've had it before but there was no signs of this prior to doing the double dose. Could just be a coincidence... Anyways, the second double dosing is today. I'm using just plain ivermectin this time around.

Tomorrow is farrier day, bright and early. I did actually talk to J shortly after Gus's latest trim, when he came up lame. She said she listened to what vets are wanting them to do and just knew that she shouldn't have. I can't remember what it all was, but something about taking down their heels/soles/toes/something. Needless to say, she was going to revert back to what she was doing previously... as it wasn't causing any unwanted issues with the boys.

Still trying to figure out what to do with Gus. I don't like the weight he's at now. He's too skinny heading into winter. Especially since he'll be wintering out for the first time since I've owned him (so first time in 9 years). These last few winters have been especially tough on everyone - very cold and very long. So, I would like to get some more weight back up on him before October/November approaches, but just not entirely sure how to do so.

I've got the vet coming out this month (in like two weeks) to do routine stuff on the boys... dentals (if needed), flu/rhino booster (if he recommends it) and then bloodwork and a lameness reeval on Gus. Gus needs to have his blood glucose/insulin rechecked, since the last blood drawl was totally useless. And I also want a second opinion on Gus's soundness... I think I'm also going to ask for some recommendations on weight and whatnot. Who knows what answers I'll get from the vet. I've got Anoka coming out again... I much prefer them to the other guy.

I do want to get some new photos again with both horses, like I had done last fall. So, we'll see if I can rope someone into helping me one weekend.

No comments: