Monday, April 5, 2010

First Colic!

Yikes. Last Wednesday was NOT a good day for Gringo. Everything started off normally, but quickly spirled downhill. He had his typical 1/2lb of alfalfa pellets, slightly mushy with water, and his supps. I then turned him outside to munch on his hay while I was picking up his pasture. He took on small (very unusual) bite of hay and then proceeded to lay down. He stood back up, pawed at the hay and then laid down again (flat out).

I knew almost immediately that something was not right. First of all, Gringo never takes small bites of anything. It's all or nothing for him. And laying down while eating? He's lazy, but not THAT lazy.

Needless to say, he was colicing. I got the good vet out (Dr. NS, the same one we had for our spring vaccines this year) and she gave him a good dose of banamine and some other wonderful drug to help stop his cramps. She said he was colicing, but it was more of a "I ate bad Chinese" stomach cramp rather then an impaction. To be on the safe side, we did go ahead and tube him with some electrolytes.

He's better, but still not himself. He's very subdued. Talked to trainer/BO and she recommended adding in some probios/electolytes... so I think I'll try that to see if he perks back up.

Anyways, the farrier was out today and I took some shots of Gringo's feet just after the trim. Any suggestions?



He says "Mom, I don't feel so well".






Weight-wise, he looks pretty decent. He's still really hairy though.




Front Legs


Another front view.


Hind Legs.

LF

LF


LF


LF


RF


RF


RF


LH


LH


LH


LH


RH


RH


RH


RH

That's it for photos for now...

No comments: