Monday, October 10, 2011

Almost there...

But not quite. So the last time I was up on Gus was on Friday, the 7th, and we had a pleasant enough ride in the indoor. But it was far from perfect.

The truth of the matter is, while Gus isn't lame-lame he is off. B was giving a lesson in the indoor while I was riding, and during a moment of downtime for the other rider, I asked her what she thought. She agreed that he wasn't lame and thought that he looked "ouchy" and tenderfooted in the indoor. Heck, that was what I was dealing with back in August. Sheesh. Now I'm really not sure what to think but we both agree that there isn't any harm in continuing to work Gus, as long as he doesn't get any worse.

So, for the time being, Gus is back into work. Mostly walk/trot with a little canter thrown in for good measure. On Friday, we worked mainly on bending and suppling in the bridle. Granted, he would have benefited greatly from some lunge work, but that just wasn't feasible with the other rider riding. Just not enough room.

Wednesday will be the first time I've done a lesson on Gus since like August, I think. I know we did nothing in September... and I don't think there was much, if any, productiveness in August. Oh well, should be entertaining, to say the least. I would really like to work with some cavalletti again, to really get Gus stretching out and over his topline. Maybe I'll suggest that to B. Regardless, I'm dreading the "cooling out" period with Gus. He's a hairy beast right now and just the thought of work makes him sweat. Uggh.

No comments: