Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Gringo

I haven't done much with Gringo in the last week, mainly because of the weather (really HOT) and partly because I've been busy. So the last time he was worked was over the 4th of July weekend. I definitely need to get more motivated and start working with Gringo on a more regular basis, then I might actually get somewhere with him. Then again, I'm in no hurry either.

Today, the farrier was out to trim Gringo again. Gringo was at 7 weeks out. I'm thinking I need to talk to L next time he's out about getting Gringo's toes in check. While he's perfectly sound like he is, he's also very long in the toe... which can lead to other issues, like I've learned with Gus.

Here's Gringo's hoof photos from today's trim, viewed from left front, to left rear, right rear to right front:














I also took some new body photos. Mind you, the barn floor is all dirt and VERY uneven. So, while Gringo looks like he's built majorly downhill, he's really only built slightly downhill.










Weight-wise, I would prefer that Gringo loose a few more pounds. But honestly, I'm not entirely sure to go about doing that. Normal circumstances mean cutting grain/hay, upping exercise or putting on a grazing muzzle. Unfortunately, none of those are really good options. I think I'll try upping the exercise as much as I can, but it's hard to do anything with a horse who's not started undersaddle. At least he's outside 24/7 so he can walking around as much as he'd like. 

No comments: