Sunday, August 14, 2011

Now I'm not sure what to think.


Well, like the title of this post states, I'm really not sure what to think about Gus right now. Today was the first time I've been out since Friday afternoon. Gus still had the Soft Ride boots on when I got to the barn today. Although they were extremely muddy and slightly off center, they seemed to have held up well enough. The only thing I wanted to do with Gus today was to make sure he was sound on concrete/pavement. Sure enough, after pulling the Soft Rides and cleaning out his hooves, he was.

So, after walking him up and down the barn aisle and making him make numerous small circles, both to the left and to the right, he was still sound and walking off comfortably. Again, not at all sure what to think.

Gus currently is sans boots for the time being and sans pain meds as well. He only got bute on Friday because he seemed so uncomfortable. Right now, he looks pretty dang good. We'll see what Tuesday holds for Gus.

I also went out to see Gringo this afternoon. Gringo seems to be doing pretty good himself, although still a bit too pudgy for my likes. I've had discussions with my MIL, but that doesn't seem to have gotten me anywhere. He's still on like 1/3c of alfalfa pellets a day plus his supps... hay-wise, though, I'm not sure how much he is getting. It should really be not much at all as the grass is very plentiful and rich right now, but I don't think that is the case (regarding the hay).

I didn't do much with him otherwise. Just a good grooming and brushing. He's still as sparkly clean as always, even when he's been rolling around. I'm amazed to have found a predominantly gray horse who stays fairly clean. Anyways, I'm hoping to get some time in to work with Gringo again in the next week or two.

No comments: