Friday, August 12, 2011

So, what's new?

Well, yesterday Gus had his hooves trimmed again. And for the second time in a row, it had only been four weeks. Due to mainly the weather, Gus's hooves haven't been holding up as well as I'd like so rather then wait for six weeks to pass, I opted to have him trimmed earlier. Plus, being that he was off on that left fore, I wanted to have the farrier put some hoof testers on him.

Here's the photos from today, one day after the trim. As usual, the photos are taken from left fore, to left hind, right hind to right fore.













I'm not really sure what to think of the "squared off toes". The more they stay "on" the more they just look plain weird. They don't seem to be centered at all and I guess I'm not sure if the square is supposed to be in the center of the toe or on an edge... but the pictures aren't lying.

And on to other news, Gus is now off on what seems to be the left front. After our ride today, in which he was a bit of a butt though we were able to work through it, he started walking off on the concrete of the barn. Considering that we are dealing with Gus here, that in itself is nothing new... but being off to the extent in which he was is unusual.

I had a hard time figuring out which leg it was cause he was landing really hard on the right front. B said though that it was because he was loading his right front, so in all actuality, it was his left front that he was off on. Makes sense as that's the same leg that he had been favoring for a while now, just not to the extent that he was doing today.

So, off to let the farrier and vet know. Sheesh. And in talking to the B, she didn't think the farrier had applied hoof testers to Gus's left fore, even though I had left him a message to do so last week. Whatever. Kinda irks me that there isn't any communication, even though I try my hardest.

Gus is sounder with his Soft Rides on. So he'll be living in hoof boots for a while again. We'll reassess the situation here in the next day or two.

No comments: