Sunday, October 28, 2012

I'm not sure what to say, but ...

Gringo was amazing yesterday. And Gus was too.

Yesterday was the first time in like 5 1/2 years that I've been able to really, really work with Gringo - least of all in a place that has an arena. He was amazing. The whoa was there consistently and the canter was back like it never even left. My plan for him is to work him again today and if he's as good as he was yesterday, I'm cancelling his vet appointment.

I took some video of yesterday's trot & canter work but I'm going to reshoot it today. I didn't realize I could omit the audio ... I'd rather show video that demonstrates Gringo's nice gaits and rather then my annoying voice.

Gus was a really good boy again as well. I opted to not lunge again because well, I had already spent 20 minutes walking in circles with Gringo and didn't want to go through that again. So, we started off right away doing the forehand stretches or whatever the heck you want to call them. It's where you walk off the track at an angle, turn sorta on the forehand then walk back to the rail. Rinse and repeat. Anyways, we did that for a few laps, switches sides then started working on the trot.

Our trot work consisted of the same work as before. Basically when he wanted to drop behind the contact, I made him stay there for a few steps. This time he got the idea a lot quicker and we ended up with some really nice trot work.

The canter was pretty nice as well. We worked on big 20m circles and did some whole arena figure-8s. Today's plan is more of the same. Hopefully.

No comments: